Thursday, July 9, 2009

Careful What We're Teaching



Those of you who know me, and maybe even some of you who don't....
know that I am a huge lover of words..
I think that they hold a power that is matched by no other..
At church last weekend however I heard something that rocked my thinking..
My preacher was talking about words and the power they have.
There are so so so many places in the Bible that talk about the tongue and the power it carries.
Then he said.... There is a reason that God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth...
Because we are supposed to listen twice as much as we speak...
WOW... and double WOW...
I could hardly contain myself through the rest of the service because I wanted to tell everyone I knew what I'd learned...
Then it dawned on me that no one really wants to be told that...
They want to SEE that..
People know when you are listening to them..
He also said that hearing is a function of the body,
and listening is a function of the mind...
WOW again...
How wonderful would it be for me to be able to really show my children that
I am LISTENING to what they say...
not just HEARING the words while I am also doing something else!
And how incredibly romantic to actually look into your husband's eyes when he is talking with a true sense of what you're saying is important to me...
I hope Brady sees by my actions that I am Listening more than I am Speaking..

2 comments:

  1. i am going to work on that today, really listening....why is it so hard to do? i seem to be running my mind endlessly with all sorts of random stuff and sometimes i miss out on the stuff that those around me that i love are saying. great point, like i said, i am going to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete